Damascus: Glazed Pottery Manufacture
From the last quarter of the nineteenth century onward there are published reports of glazed pottery having been recovered in the extra-mural area of the old city of Damascus between Bab Sharqi and Bab Kisan. Some of these kilns were excavated by French archaeologists in the 1920s and 1930s, though the published evidence from these projects is sparse.
For references to these kilns, see:
Raphael, Oscar. “Fragments from Fustat”, Transactions of the Oriental Ceramics Society, 1923-24 (1924), p. 20.
Carswell, John. “Ṣīn in Syria”, Iran 17 (1979), p. 19, pl. XVIII.
Milwright, Marcus. “Pottery in written Sources of the Ayyubid-Mamluk Period (c.567-923/1171-1517)”, Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 62.3 (1999): p. 506.
Additional bibliography can be found on these readings:
Tonghini, Cristina and Ernst Grube. “Towards a History of Syrian Islamic Pottery before 1500.” Islamic Art 3 (1989): pp. 59-93
Milwright, Marcus. “Gazetteer of archaeological Sites in the Levant reporting Pottery of the Middle Islamic Period (ca. 1100-1600 C.E.)”, Islamic Art 5 (2001): pp. 1-31.